Lofty Heights... 'Ohhh Bobby Zamooooora!!!'

A look at Queens Park Rangers F.C. through the eyes of the fans - follow us on twitter @loftyheights70, @LoftyQPR and @qprleeroy








Monday, July 03, 2006

David Beckham...


David Beckham has announced he is standing down as captain of England at an emotional press conference in Germany.

Beckham's statement:


On 15 November 2000, Peter Taylor gave me the greatest honour of my career in making me captain of England and fulfilling my childhood dream.

Now nearly six years later, having been captain for 58 of my 94 caps, I feel the time is right to pass on the armband as we enter a new era under Steve McClaren.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It has been an honour and a privilege to captain our country and I want to stress that I wish to continue to play for England and look forward to helping both the new captain and Steve McClaren in any way I can.

I came to this decision some time ago but I hoped to announce it on the back of a successful World Cup, but sadly that wasn't to be.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This decision has been the most difficult of my career to date. But after discussing it with my family and those closest to me, I feel the time is right.

Our performance during this World Cup has not been enough to progress and myself and all the players regret that and are hurt by that more than people realise.

I wish to thank all the players for their support during my time as captain as well as Peter Taylor, Sven and all the coaches.

I would also like to thank the press and of course the England supporters who have been great to me and to my teammates. I want them to know that for me it's been an absolute honour.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Finally, I have lived the dream. I am extremely proud to have worn the armband and been captain of England and for that I will always be grateful.

I would personally like to thank David Beckham for being a great England Captain, both on and off the pitch!

©LOFTY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home